Office Moving Resources
Seven Steps to a Successful Office Move
The process of moving your entire office to a new location in Milwaukee is daunting. Monitors, file cabinets, furniture, copiers, and every piece of the office has to be moved to its new location. Whether you're moving from Brewer's Hill to East Town or all the way to West Allis, no matter how far your office move is, it's probably not going to be a relaxing experience. To make the process go as smoothly as possible, it's wise to do some planning beforehand. Follow this checklist to a successful office move.
- Once your new location has been chosen, make a floor plan model of where everything will go. Take an inventory of everything in your office that you'll be taking with. Then plan how desks will be arranged, where copy rooms will be, who gets the private offices, where the fridge is going, etc. Also, order new signage if you'll need it. If you have some things that you'd like to leave behind for the time being, find a clean, dry storage facility in the Milwaukee area.
- Get rid of stuff. Your office has undoubtedly accumulated a lot of junk and old, unneeded files over the time that you've been there. Clean out desk drawers, closets, file cabinets, shelves, and other storage areas. Take inventory of what technology you have, and what you might need for the new office. Hiring professional movers frees up your time and energy, so that you're able to clean and organize before the move. This is a prime time to get rid of junk, as it will also create a smaller load to move!
- Plan the necessary hookups for the new space. You don't want to waste any productive days during the move, so you'll want to have your phone system and your internet provider and hookups all set up and ready to go. You'll also want to make sure your server room is set up and everything's ready to go before all your employees come in. Also, make sure you've provided access to the new building for each employee. They'll each most likely need a key or card.
- Plan where each employee will sit. Assign offices and desks. While this sounds easy, the new layout can sometimes create a hassle when figuring out who goes where. Have each employee clean out his or her own space, getting rid of unnecessary things and taking personal belongings home for the time being.
- Plan your address change. Think of all the places where your business address is listed - your website, business cards, stationery, and local business listings will need to be changed. If your change of address affects any clients, make sure to alert them.
- As moving day approaches, coordinate with your movers to take certain things to the new space before the big move. For example, some furniture, plants and other decor, empty desks, and file cabinets can be moved before the big moving day. Having some of the moving done will help the day move faster.
- On the big day, make sure everything is in labelled boxes and ready for the movers. Have a system set up so that, when things arrive at the new space, there are dedicated areas to put them. Keep most employees out that day, besides the ones who are helping with the move. Disconnect phone and internet service to the old building.
Once the move is completed, let employees set up their own desks. Make sure the fridge is plugged in and working, and that aisles between desks are open and un-cluttered. Remember, the entire move will go a lot more smoothly with a little organization and help from Barrett Moving & Storage! Use the form to the right or call us today for a free quote.